Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Painting Mojo is up to Ramming Speed!

I am really cranking out the painted minis today. I nearly have two stands of six figures, or 12 in total, near completion. I'm still working on the AWI British light infantry. These are so easy to paint because they have a minimal amount of equipment, compared to the Continentals. Less equipment = fewer items to paint = faster ramming speed painting.

I really enjoy painting the light and irregular troop figures because of the individuality that each pose has. It is amazing how well Richard Ansell's sculpts look when they are all placed together on a single stand. It is as if he had planned a diorama and that each casting has its place in the overall tableau.

By the end of this week, I will have completed the first battalion of the British Brigade of Guards and the first battalion of the converged light infantry for my AWI British army. With the British line infantry and grenadiers on the foreseeable horizon, I want to get all of the other units painted before they go into production. I would imagine that February and March 2012 will have a decidedly red tinge to it. (January 2012 will see me knocking out a few more Continental and Militia units, because once the new Brits arrive, they will have the priority on the painting table).

The goal is to have a couple or three brigades per side done so that I can host a convention game at the SYWA convention in March 2012 or at Little Wars in April 2012. Time sure does fly when you are trying to paint in front of a convention deadline.

HEY! I just noticed that I hit 100 blog posts today, which was my goal for the year. Now I want to blow past that target and set a new personal record. Is 110 doable? We are also closing in on 200 "Follower" to this blog. If you are a regular visit to this blog, but are not a Follower, then please take a couple of seconds to click on the Follower box in the upper left corner. I would be honored to add new people to my Followers list.

Time to start thinking about what happened in the hobby during 2011. What was the most notable release of new figures (aside from Fife & Drum Miniatures, of course), new rules, new game ideas or anything else that made a difference to the hobby in 2011? Feel free to leave your thoughts and ideas in the Comments section at the end of this posting.

4 comments:

  1. Between the Mojo and the 100+ posts, it sounds like you have switched to a new brand of strong coffee, Der Alte!

    Your Fife and Drum British figures look splendid. My hearty congratulations.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the blogging target, but more so on getting your painting mojo back again. Keep up the good work in the new year.

    Will

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have to say the most notable releases this year, for me anyway were:

    1. Dystopian Wars: I'm not really a fantasy player, but the Victorian setting and awesome looking miniatures drew me in.

    2. The Empress/Warlord Rorke's Drift set. I still can't believe my wife got me the "Horns of the Buffalo" set for a Christmas gift! I know what I'm going to be painting in the forseeable future!

    Have a Happy New Year!
    GregS

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an impressing output in painted figures! My painting Mojo is soo low at the moment.

    Congrats on the 100 post goal!

    ReplyDelete