Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Making Artillery Tool



I was working on the creation of some longer artillery tools to go with the mammoth sized French artillery barrels on the Valliere 8-pound and 12- pound cannon.

I simply cut a piece of brass wire to the length of the 12- pounder barrel and then made the ram and sponge ends from green epoxy putty. I rolled out a small sausage of putty and stuck it to the end of the wire. Then, with the wire embedded in the putty, I rolled out the putty to reduce the thickness and then trimmed the sponge to the desired length. Then using an Exacto blade, I scored some lines into the putty to give the sponge some texture.

You can see the finished result in the picture and compare it to the original rammer casting and the French 12-pound barrel.

3 comments: