Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Scenic Dividers Part II

 

The new end cap terrain pieces on one table edge.

The original terrain end cap pieces


Yesterday I put the final touches on a second set of scenic dividers for the other table edge. So now my 6 feet wide table has terrain pieces covering the width of each end of the table.

The complete table layout with end cap terrain pieces on each table end.
And no, I am not going to make pieces for the side


I also made two dice trays placed inside two of the terrain pieces. This is a nice way to store the dice used in the game or to have a surface on which to roll one's dice during the game. If the dice are not rolled in the tray, then they don't count. Maybe. In any event, I like that the dice are now hidden and that the holders can do double duty as terrain end cap pieces.

Two of the new end cap pieces are actually dice holding trays.

Close up view of one of the dice trays

Here are some pictures showing the grand view of the game room:

View of the game room.


A view of the table edge with the end caps.


Ground level view showing the effect of having terrain end caps or scenic dividers on the table edges.

I am almost finished with making the terrain for my Khartoum! game at Historicon 2023. I will need to make two more dice holders so that I have one for each corner of the table. I might make a couple more small terrain pieces to scatter around the table for the visual effect. I probably have enough buildings and walls for my Khartoum city, but there is always the possibility of the city growing larger. After all, you know how I roll: bigger and larger is better than small. Always!

With company coming to our house for Christmas Day dinner, I will probably leave all of the terrain up so that my visitors can take a look at it. After Christmas, if I have the time, I might remove the river and push the city onto the middle table. My thought is that the players defending the town can have the city walls and the Dervish attackers in front of them while the rest of the city, the houses and other buildings, are behind them. Once the Dervish climb over the walls (and they will), then the fighting can go house to house and there will be more space for the players to maneuver inside the city.

FYI - Please Note

The Fife and Drum Miniatures staff will be going on a vacation for a couple of weeks in warmer climate. They tell me that they need a well deserved rest. So we probably won't be able to ship any orders during the first three weeks of January 2023. After that, the staff will be well rested and raring to go back to work, roll up their sleeves, and ship out lots and lots of miniatures. 


On the beach in Sarasota


I plan to post several more blog posts before I (ahem, we) head out on Vacay, but in case I do not, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas


TTFN and cheers!





4 comments:

  1. This gorgeous table is a dream!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compliments of the season Jim. Merry Xmas to you and your family. Best regards. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - good stuff.
    Bill P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scenic end pieces really are fantastic Jim....hope you and all the staff at F&D enjoy a well earned Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete