I am nearly done painting a 32-figure battalion of Great Northern War Russians ( Warfare Miniatures) and painting all of that green got me thinking about a potential project for 2016: SYW era Russians. I eventually want to game a Zorndorf scenario with my Minden Prussian army, so naturally I will need a green clad opponent.
One immediate problem is that Minden does not have any Russians (other than the artillery and crew) so what can I do about raising infantry and cavalry forces for the Russians? After perusing through the Minden range, the RSM range and Kronoskaf I came up with the following temporary solution:
1) Russian Musketeers - I will continue using the Minden French fusiliers with turn backs as Faux Russians since the uniforms are "close enough".
2) Russian Grenadiers - I will use the RSM Russian grenadiers and sprinkle in some Minden command figures and maybe even do a few head swaps.
3) Observation Corps - this will be a tough nut to crack. My choices are some significant conversions of Prussian Jagers into Ob Corps troops or use some of the Minden Russian artillery crew and place muskets rather than artillery tools in their hands. Some of the Minden Pioneers could serve the same purpose.
4) Russian artillery - Minden has everything that I need here, from loading and firing gun crews to four different kinds of artillery pieces.
5) Russian Cuirassiers and Hussars - I will use the Minden Prussian cavalry figures for these.
6) Russian Dragoons - I will use the Minde Hanoverian "Horse Regiment" figures as these do not have lapels. Thus they can stand in for the Russian Dragoons assuming that the riders have not buttoned their coats closed.
7) Russian Horse Grenadiers - I will use the RSM Russian Horse Grenadiers.
8) Cossacks - more RSM figures here. Maybe TAG has some Cossacks as well.
9) Mounted officers- Minden has a General Fermor personality figure and some of the other lesser officers can be recruited from the ranks of Minden French officers and dragoon officers.
So,there you have it, all of the elements are in place to build a Russian SYW army over the course of 2016. Of course, I will also continue to work on my GNW project here and there, keeping both balls in the air at the same time.