Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Day One In Berlin



I arrived at Berlin Tegel early in the morning at 7 am and it was still dark, but the airport was still a busy hive of activity. Collected my luggage and cleared customs easily and then headed to my hotel, just a block away from the Berliner Zinnfiguren store. Alas, it was closed today because it is a national holiday in Germany today: Reunification Day, to celebrate the end of the division of the country into East and West.

I met up Ken Bunger at the hotel for breakfast, after which we we headed to Unter Den Linden to see the German History Museum in the former Zughaus or armoury of the Prussian army.

Here are a few photos of the museum:

Frederick the Great's Uniform


Statue of Marshal Schwerin 


The courtyard of the Zughaus 


Frederick during times of peace.


Potsdam Giants


Prussian infantry uniform

H

11 comments:

  1. That's what I like to see no sitting around straight up and at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! What great pics, just look at that yellow waistcoat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start to your adventure. Hope you get a chance to go INSIDE BZ for a look around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun first day.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  5. now I know where I want to go for my next weekend trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful experience. I loved the Zinfiguren shop.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Berlin Zinnfiguren - what an Aladdin's cave of delights that is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a perfect start to your day Jim - Berlin must be sensational this time of year! Have a great stay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid Jim! I didn't know the great man was still doing tours. God I would love to be on one of those!

    ReplyDelete