Friday, October 14, 2016

Day 10: Sans Souci


We visited Frederick's palace of Sans Souci in Potsdam on Wednesday October 12, 2016. I will just post some of the pix for your viewing pleasure. Sans Souci is a small palace by contemporary standards and Frederick had a large hand in the design of the building and interiors.

Sans Souci: Without a Care
The front facade presides over a terraced garden.


Andy Warhol's take on Frederick II

His grave. Visitors traditionally place a potato on his grave (for good luck?).

The graves of Fritz and his dogs. No spouse though.

Frederick died in this BarcaLounger. In his last days he couldn't breath unless sitting upright. A hidden foot rest folds out as needed.

His writing desk.

His Music Room

Picture gallery in a separate building contains lots of Reubens and Van Dyke paintings.


That is the end of the Duffy Tour of 2016. A good time was had by all, including yours truly, and it was great to see some long time friends from Sweden, Italy, Britain, Germany, Canada and the USA. It will probably be Christopher Duffy's last guided tour due to health problems, but I did a terrific job of presenting the facts about the battles and produced many a laugh with his wry, tongue-in-cheek sense of humor.

Best of all though, I feel my SYW mojo coming back and look forward to hitting the painting table and game table once again.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing... I have enjoyed tagging along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds like a wonderful trip. Happy your feel reinvigorated by it.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for 'letting us in' on your trip, we I've enjoyed following.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great series of posts. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice shots. I'm new to this era, that 24pndr is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a wonderful bust of old fritz on my visit to Sans Souci some time ago and still smile every time I look at it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The potatoes on the grave of Friedrich are a thank you and a memory, since Friedrich has made the potato cultivation in Prussia public and promoted
    Greetings
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's already been said, but thanks for this series of posts. They give me a chance to see what such a trip involves, with some useful and interesting battlefield photos. I wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete