Sunday, June 7, 2015

Zieten Personality Work In Progress



I spent a bit of time last evening painting the new Zieten personality figure that was commissioned by one of my Kickstarter backers. I still have the sword, all the tack, and some of the van Dyking on the reverse side to complete, but he is far enough along to give everyone a sneak peak at the painted model. You can see the original painting that inspired this figure at the bottom of this thread. We had a new horse sculpted specifically for this figure.

I was initiated concerned about the sturdiness of the rearing horse, given that it has only two contact points with the base. However, I decided to drill a whole into the base and into the underside of the horse, and then inserting a metal pin to improve the stability. This seems to have worked according to plan as the horse is now stronger with the third contact point. When the model is finished I will hide the pin with some tufts of long grass.


11 comments:

  1. Jim, Please post some photos of your new casting...Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. A magnificent miniature. The legs might be strong enough now but I have found they tend to weaken a bit as they age, the added support is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful figure. You've been busy - thanks for keeping us all informed. Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next in the sample queue: Russian artillery crew and the four Russian cannon in the Minden range.

      Delete
    2. Also Marshal von Browne, Prinz Moritz and General Fermor. Oh my, lots of fun things to paint.

      Delete
  4. Awesome!!!, what a great hobby..now please paint von Browne so I have a great example to attempt to copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto on the pinning. Good idea. I have some old Suren horses that are shewing a distinct desire to collapse gracefully onto their fore-limbs.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete