Wednesday, November 9, 2022

City of Khartoum Models

 

Khartoum - capital of The Sudan

CLICK PICTURES TO ENLARGE

The other day I cleared off one of my wargame tables and set up the city of Khartoum. I wanted to get an idea of how much space it is going to need for my convention game at Historicon 2023 and also to determine the need, if any, for additional buildings and terrain pieces.

The city sits on a 5ft wide table and I will likely have 6ft wide tables for my game. After setting everything up and getting a better feel for the spacing of the buildings, walls etc., I am thinking that I should set up the game on two parallel 6ft by 20ft table. I will move just the outer walls of the city to the other parallel table, while the remainder of the city will be set up on the back table. Thus the actual storming of the city walls with scaling ladders will be played out on the front table so that the gamers can reach for their collective figures.  

Once the Dervish scale the walls then they can move onto the back table where they can loot and kill infidels to their hearts' content. Having the buildings of the city on the back table will make it easier for players to move their troops in and around the buildings.

The back table will also be deep enough to allow me to set up a portion of the Nile River and have some steam boats docked on the quay. I wonder how many of the European inhabitants will be able to make their way to the boats and relative safety, assuming that the boats can escape before the Dervish reach the river and cut off any escape.




These dhows and the Nile will not be in front to the city gate.
For now, I have a Nile River diorama set up on this table.





Gatey McGate Face - one of two entrance gates into the city.


Major General Charles Gordon searches in vain for the naval relief force.
Great view from the roof of the Governor's Palace.


Quayside at Khartoum.
Gordon should have taken one of those river boats while he had the chance.



Grand view of the entire city.

The view looking towards the town square.

Another view of the city center.



Merchant stall in the town square


Some of the European residents of Khartoum survey the city from their high perch.



Hookah smoker offering his wares to the public.
A pair of thieves carry off treasure from a nearby ancient tomb.


Most of the buildings were made by me, but I also have some resin walls and buildings made by King & Country in the mix. The street surface is cork from the backside of place mats that I bought at Target Stores. The civilians are a mix of 54mm figures from Trophy of Wales, Britains, John Jenkins Designs, and King & Country miniatures.

I finished my second Nile River paddle wheel boat (left) recently.

My plan is to run the Khartoum game twice a day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Historicon. The game will be set up to allow 12 players in the game.

P.S. Can you spot the easter egg in one of the pictures?

9 comments:

  1. How your collection of non-combatants has grown.
    Congratulations on the second paddle wheel
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m always on the lookout for Middle Eastern types of civilians that I can use to populate the town.

      Delete
  2. That really is a magnificent looking set up you have there, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting the whole setup provides me with the inspiration to do a lot more. 😀

      Delete
  3. Amazing! Your dedication to this project knows no bounds! - If you don't win 'best in show' at Historicon I want to know why!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely first rate Jim, you should be very proud of the whole set up, well done.

    ReplyDelete