Friday, August 31, 2018

Rest In Peace Mom


Martha Ann Purky (April 1922 - August 2018)


My Mother, Martha Ann Purky, died this morning (August 31, 2018) at 4:40 AM from complications with kidney failure. She was an awesome 96 years old today, having been born in April 1922. She was preceded in death by my sister Janet (1948 - 2017) and my father Thomas (1922 - 1995). So I guess that this makes me Uncas, the Last of the Mohicans, in a way. She comes from a family in which all of the women live into their late 90s, which is pretty remarkable.

My Mother was born in Indianapolis, Indiana and was the oldest of the three children of Donald and Lyda Belle Shaw. She graduated from Butler University in 1943 with a degree in Home Economics and Theater Arts. She briefly was a teacher at Indiana University prior to marrying my father, after WW2 was over.

She was an excellent cook and a very skilled seamstress too. She always made her own clothes, the curtains in all of our various homes, and reupholstered furniture too. She volunteered at local theater companies as the costume designer and it seemed that she always had some project going on at her Singer sewing machine. Whenever I would move to a new apartment or house, she would whip out several sets of curtains for me in no time.

Mom loved to travel and she worked part time as a teacher in the early 1960s so that she could earn enough money to take the family on a trip to Europe in 1963. This was my first of many trips to Europe - we traveled for ten weeks through Great Britain, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Belgium and The Netherlands. This particular trip, my first time in Europe, shaped me in so many ways that are beyond listing. If you have kids, then take them on a trip to another country and watch how it changes their lives for the better.

Mom and Dad travelled all over the world, visiting countries such as China, Japan, Singapore, India, Russia, South Africa, Kenya, Columbia and Peru in South America, and practically every country in Europe at one time or another. My love of history and travel comes from an obvious source.

Perhaps Mom's favorite place to visit was Estes Park, Colorado. Her great aunt owned a little cabin in the area and to call the cabin a rustic shack would be overstating it by a large margin. It had no running hot water, no potable drinking water (we had to carry it uphill from a store's water well using plastic gallon jugs), an outhouse and an old Franklin stove to provide heat in the morning. We slept in beds on the wrap-around screened in porch, snuggling up in tons of quilts and blankets to keep us warm at night. It was a ramshackle place, but she probably loved visiting that cabin more than any other place on earth. She and I did lots of trail hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park and we always looked forward to our summer trips to Colorado so that we could rack up more miles on our hiking boots.

The best way to characterize my Mom is to quote what so many people told me over the years, "your Mother doesn't have a mean bone in her body." Everyone seemed to be her friend because she could so easily connect with practically anybody. She loved her family and would do anything to help them out.

My wife, Anne, told me a story this evening that kind of sums up what my Mom was all about. Quite a few years ago, my spouse and I were visiting my parents at their winter home in Savannah, Georgia and we had gone sight-seeing and window shopping. Anne was quite taken with a necklace that she had seen in a jewelry store but we did not buy it. A day later, she found a small wrapped package in her bedroom and when she opened it up, there was the very necklace that she had looked at. My Mom bought it for her. Neither of us can figure out how Mom even knew about our looking at the necklace in the store.

Whenever anyone in her family was having any difficulties, she was always there to help and support us in more ways than you could imagine. For all of the wonderful things that she did for me, my wife and my daughter, I could never do enough to repay her for all of her thoughfulness and kindness, but then, she never did anything for anyone with the expectation that she should somehow be repaid in some fashion. If you were family, then you could do no wrong in her eyes.

Her illness was not unexpected for us and she never complained or gave any indication that she was ever in any pain. Yesterday, she was admitted to hospice care. The nurse asked her if she was feeling any pain, and if so, to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the higherst. She answered "ten." I had no idea of the pain that she was dealing with because she never let on that she was hurting. Earlier this week her doctor advised us that the medications were no longer working to keep her kidneys functioning and that he was discontinuing them and that going forward his objective was to make her as comfortable as possible. 

I was expecting her death, but not so quickly and not today. She was "Gram" the Energizer Bunny who kept ticking on and on and on, so indestructable. I fortunately spent a lot of time with Mom yesterday afternoon, showing her all of the family pictures that I could find. I could tell that the pictures were bringing a spark back into her eyes, as by this time, she did very little talking anymore. I had planned to visit her this morning and to talk about all of the memories that I had of her, of us all, starting from as far back as I could remember and going forward. Of course, that was all moot by now.

I spent the rest of today working on the funeral arrangements and notifying our family and all of her friends of her passing. I am also gathering up pictures of Mom from her childhood through the present - I'm going to enlarge them and post them on foam core boards for the funeral service so that all of her friends can see the pictures and perhaps stir up some of their own memories that they can share with me.

It goes without saying that I will miss you Mom, but you did such a great job of being a parent that I am well prepared to carry on. You are my role model; you set the bar very high, but I will do my best to live up to your example.

Cheers Mom,

Jim

47 comments:

  1. You write most movingly,powerfully and with great love about your mum. Thank you for sharing her life story with us. My condolences to you and yours.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss Jim. Katherine and I will think of you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sincere condolences to all of you. You sounded a remarkable woman and certainly had a good innings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts are with you Jim, she lives on through you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sincere condolences to you and yours Jim...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sincerest condolences to you and your family, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was one wonderful lady and superbly captured by your words Jim. Condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear of your sad loss , our thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for your loss Jim. Condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very sorry for your loss Jim. She leaves a good legacy behind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You write from the heart Jim and I am sure if your mum is looking down she will be very proud of you, as you are of her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jim
    Oh, Jim! I am very sorry to learn of her passing. Our parents are such a large part of our lives, and from your description, she was a good one. God bless you and yours!



    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim, accept also my condolences.
    I grieve with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for your loss. She sounds like one of the greats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful eulogy. Please accept my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Likewise. You mother sounds like quite a person.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sincere condolences to you and your entire family at the loss of your mother. She sounded like a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jim, you write so movingly about your Mum, who was obviously a great person in the most important of ways..a loving and caring parent and a good person, who provided for and guided the next generation. Your great respect and love for her come through in your words. My deepest sympathy, condolences and best wishes. You are all in my thoughts. Rohan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your love for your Mom shines through in your writing. My sincere condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jim,

    My heartfelt condolences. I can understand your sadness, having lost my mother years ago, but also the love you show for her

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  21. My condolences to you and your family Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My condolences.

    Sounds like she a good long, enjoyable and enriching life, and touched plenty of others in positive ways.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No matter how expected a family death is, it is always a shock.
    I am just glad she is out of pain now and at peace.
    Its a blessing that you can remember her with such gladness and thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A wonderful tribute to your remarkable Mom. My sincerest condolences to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fritz,

    Our condolences old chap. May eternal light shine upon her and may she know peace.

    Our prayers are with her, with you and with your family.

    CK

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jim, I am very sorry, and you have my sympathy and prayers. Your love for your mother comes through every word you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jim, you have written a wonderful and loving eulogy.My sympathy to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for telling us Jim,
    You wrote a wonderful eulogy for us to ponder and more.
    I hope you are doing well.
    God Bless Mom,
    Bill P.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful tribute to an obviously wonderful woman, Jim, my condolences.

    Mike from FDL

    ReplyDelete
  30. My condolences to you and your family Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sincerest condolences Jim my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My condolences and thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Jim,

    Thank you for sharing. Your mom was obviously a remarkable human being, let alone a caring and thoughtful mother (and mother-in-law). Reading your tribute has brought tears to my eyes as the depth of your love and respect are so in evidence in the memories you articulated so beautifully. I send you my sincere condolences and hope that your grief may somehow be assuaged by your fondest memories of her; may she rest in everlasting comfort, peace and tranquility.
    -Thomas B.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sincere condolences Jim, your words are very moving and heartfelt. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful eulogy. Chris R

    ReplyDelete
  35. A wonderful tribute to your mother. Thank you for sharing it with us. As I read it I was reminded of my mother as she shared many of your mother's qualities. She passed several years ago at 87 years. She was also my inspiration for history and travel, especially European...she was an excellent seamstress too. The last year's of her life she said on many occasions that she wanted to live in a cabin in the woods with her animals. I know what it's like to lose someone so important to your life. My sincere condolences for your loss. You have so many great memories she'll be with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So sorry to hear of your loss Jim. My sincere condolences to you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My sincere condolences to you and your family Jim.

    Willz Harley.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My sincere condolences, Jim. Your mother sounds like a remarkable and marvellous person so, if I may, I salute a life very well lived and an example to us all.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sorry for your loss to you and your family.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  40. I want to thank everyone for their kind comments and thoughts about my mother and our family. They are all very much appreciated. We held the service yesterday and it was really a celebration of her life, rather than a lamenting of her passing. All of you helped me with that. So thank you once again.

    cheers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  41. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete