It is that time of year, the Christmas season, and that means that I have to hear the same bad songs over and over again on the car radio. I don't know how many more times I can listen to Mariah Carey mangling Christmas songs.
|"No more Mariah Carey...I'm losing my will to live!
So without much further ado, here are my 12 worst Christmas songs, a sort of Twelve Daze of Christmas if you will.
- Last Christmas (I gave you my heart) - George Michael & Wham
- All I Want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
- Dominick the Donkey - by ?
- Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt, I think
- Santa Lost A Ho - by ?
- Jingle Bell Rock - various artists
- Have a Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives
- Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - by ?
- Christmas (Baby Come Home) - Mariah Carey
- Frosty the Snowman - Jimmy Durante version
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - Michael Jackson
- Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney
I have noticed for quite a few years that the radio stations minimize the playing of any songs that mention Jesus or Christ, that is, the whole reason that we have a Christmas in the first place. On Christmas Eve, they grant us a concession and play the traditional Christmas songs and carols.
I think that radio stations buy "canned programing" and so every station plays songs from the same list. Presumably, their songs have been tested and polled for popularity and so that is why they are on the play list, for good or for bad.
The problem is, there are fewer and fewer people that are even aware of some of the old popular Christmas carols for the simple matter that they don't hear them on the radio. So Millenials and following generations can only vote on the same bad songs as the most popular and listened to songs.
Here are twelve of my favorite Christmas songs that hopefully will get all of those bad songs, on my list above, out of your memory.
- White Christmas
- Silent Night
- O' Come All Ye Faithful
- Sleigh Ride
- Here We Come a Caroling
- Oh Christmas Tree
- Good King Wenceslas
- The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire)
- Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
- Oh Holy Night
- Walking Through a Winter Wonderland
- I Saw Three Ships A Sail One Day
Merry Christmas everybody.