Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sitting By the Fireplace on a Cold Winter's Night

The Fireplace Room at Schloss Seewald
Here is another photo from my experimentation with the iPad camera. This is a picture of our family room last evening. With the wind howling and the temperatures plunging by nearly 20 degrees Fahrenheit , it was a good evening to stay indoors by the fireplace and reading my copy of Charles Grant's Wargaming in History Volume 7 ( copy seen lying on the chair to the right ), which covers the Napoleonic Peninsular War in Spain.

UPDATE: I had to e-mail the photo to myself from the iPad and then download it from our desktop iMac. Then insert the photo, in the usual manner, into Blogger. I can't seem to get the picture to download using the Blogger App. Obviously there is a way to do this, but I haven't figured it out yet. I wish that these things came with a Users Manual or a "How to do it for Dummies" book.




Yesterday I received a box full of new books from On Military Matters and I want to compliment Dennis for the great service. I received my order within two days, just in time to get in a bit of weekend reading. In addition to the Grant book, I also purchased two books on the Philadelphia Campaign of 1777 by McGuire and these look to be exception books with lots of detail and information that is new to me. Some of the maps are superb from a Wargaming point of view as they present all of the regiments at hand and good terrain detail for conversion into war game scenarios.

Scan of the Germantown battle map from Volume II.
I would rate the maps as "Christopher Duffy Quality" in terms of the details about the different regiments and where they were during the battle. Hopefully the scan that I did of the Germantown map will give you an idea of what I mean. Note though that the actual map in the book is much better.


Volume I: The Philadelphia Campaign - Brandywine and the fall of Philadelphia, by Thomas J. McGuire. ($37.00)

Volume II: The Philadelphia Campaign - Germantown and the Roads to Valley Forge, also by McGuire. ($35.00)

3 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like an excellent book. I'll be looking out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fireplace looks delightfully inviting! Sadly, our chimney and flue need major renovations to bring them up to code and safe for use, so for now no fires here at Stollen Central. So, I'll enjoy your vicariously.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting books!

    I've just recently finished a boargame session of Germantown (Clash of Arms games Brandywine & Germantown, for those interested), so your timing is spot on!

    I'll have to visit Dennis and pick up a copy.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete