Tuesday, July 25, 2023

My Historicon Game Pix

 

My Battle of Abu Klea game at Historicon

Click on all pictures to enlarge


This year I ran four games at Historicon: Khartoum! played three times and then I had a tactical battle scenario: the Battle of Abu Klea. I had 42 gamers signed up and playing in my games over the course of the four day convention. I was also honored to be awarded a PELA award for my Khartoum! game on Thursday.


I have lots of pictures and it is difficult to cull through them and pick the best pictures, but here we go:


My games were played across three 6ft by 24ft tables, providing table depth and lots of maneuvering space.



Close up view of one of the Dervish Dhow boats. There were 12 Dervish and 1 Leader per boat.


The Dervish fleet moves upstream to Khartoum.



Egyptian artillery crew atop the main gate to the city.






British Camel Corps square in the Battle of Abu Klea.
Note the separate Egyptian square in the background.

The Dervish war bands rush to the city walls with climbing ladders.



The Dervish try to climb over the city walls with scaling ladders.



One of the younger players in one of my games. She asked good questions and held off the Dervish attack via the Nile.



A close up view of the Beja scaling the walls.

Our mascot, Easter Piglet, inspects the game table.

The Dervish attack begins.

Himself gives his opinion on a rules question.

Street fighting inside the walls of Khartoum.


An emir leads his troops into the city



One of the water oases that were on the table.

Egyptian soldiers fight for their lives on the parapets of the walls.

The Dervish converge on the Governor's Palace. Gordon, shown at the top of the staircase on the left, awaits his fate.

A small knot of Egyptian regulars make their last stand.


The world famous Goober the Bear (left) and the less famous Easter Piglet mug for the camera .

Goober and Easter inspect the city of Khartoum.

Bill Mollineaux and Goober (on the right) and Der Alte Fritz and Easter Piglet on the left.

I was very pleased with the way that the games played out and demonstrated the effectiveness of the rules that I used. For "tactical" battles outside the city walls or at Abu Klea we used my War Along the Nile rules, while ladder climbing and hand to hand melees were conducted using some special rules that my game group developed specifically for this aspect of the war game.

It was also fun meeting many of my blog followers and answering a lot of questions about the figures, the model construction and the overall development of the games for Historicon. I am already working up some ideas for next year's games at Historicon.

9 comments:

  1. Well done Jim and congratulations on your game and award. So well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful game that I was looking forward to playing for months. Thanks, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looked quite splendid Jim and Mark from "My Brave Fusiliers" seemed to have had a really good time playing a role in one of the games. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Jim you’ve certainly nailed it with this demo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Epic. No other word for it. Well done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three cheers for you on a memorable and exciting game. Its been amazing watching the development of this and then to see it in the flesh. Incredible! I feel like I have been part of something miniature wargamers will talk about in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Just discovered I am in some of your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed meeting up and get a game in > thanks Jim

    ReplyDelete