Wednesday, May 17, 2023

A Visit to the Marketplace in Khartoum

 

A gentleman from Belgium is searching for some curios to take home.

I set up several vignettes inside my model of Khartoum and experimenting with various styles of picture taking and composition. I like having civilians participating on the periphery of the table top game. It is very difficult to find 54mm (1/32 scale) Middle Eastern civilians to populate Khartoum. Fortunately, a company called King & Country (based in Hong Kong) makes a figure range called "The Life of Jesus" and some of the characters make suitable stand ins for 19th Century civilians. Granted the locals probably would not be wearing colorful robes, more likely all white clothing, but the figures seem to work just fine. Another company called John Jenkins Designs also makes some suitable stand in civilian figures.

Trips to Michael's Stores and Hobby Lobby have been a treasure trove of little knickknacks to use in my scenario. The oriental carpets, the baskets of fruit and vegetables and a few other items have come in handy.



The rug merchant 


A citizen with his hookah is taken to task by a couple of
members of the Khartoum Chapter of the Temperance League.


Overview of the market place


My Khartoum terrain is pretty much finished and ready to go for this year's Historicon games. I had everything that I needed in time for my games at Little Wars, recently. After that show, I set up the city terrain on one of my game tables to see how things were looking. I identified a few things that I want to add before Historicon. These include the expansion of the Governor's Palace to include a pair of building wings (DONE), the town arsenal, and a mosque. Maybe a couple more corner towers for the city walls would be a nice addition if I can find the time.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Jim, I like some civilians in my gaming tables, too. I particularly like the lady in the jodhpurs and riding boots, accompanying the Belgian gentleman!

    ReplyDelete