Thursday, August 31, 2023

Matthew Brady, of sorts

 

A Matthew Brady inspired war photographer.
Figure and wagon are from Lemax.

Every Civil War collection that I have owned has had a Matthew Brady inspired photographer and wagon. My new 54mm ACW project now has one too, thanks to a company called Lemax. Lemax makes those Halloween and Christmas villages that you find at stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. It looks like the wagon and figure is closer to 60mm than 54mm, but I can put up with the size difference at this scale.

I will have to paint over the "snow" on the bases with green paint and I will probably print a new siding of the wagon to show Brady's name rather than that of HG Williams. Other than that, it's ready to go.

I found the model of Meade's headquarters at Gettysburg that is made by Britians. This ones a big one measuring 9"L  by 9" W by 7"H. At first I thought that maybe the model would be too large, but it looks ok once the 54mm figures are set up next to the model.



Here is another view, below,  of Meade's HQ that also shows some of the battlefield on my table top. The mats are from Cigar Box and the fences were made by Dennis Smail. There is something about snake rail fences that just screams out ACW (American Civil War).


And here are a couple of pictures of the game table, which measures 6ftW by 12ftL.  There is a side table to the left of the main table that measures 5ftW by 12ftL.




I have been using a corner of the main game table as a painting area because I was painting a larger number of figures than I normally do. I had 60+ figures primed and ready to paint at the time. For the month of August I have painted approximately 186 figures. That includes six Union regiments of 30 figures plus various command and mounted officer figures. A brigade of infantry will have three 30-figure regiments and a 2-gun battery of artillery.

I have two more Union regiments in primer and after painting those I will probably switch over and start painting the Confederates in September.


ccc

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive layout I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great scene. The photography wagon reminds me of some of the Timpo ones and the Golden West HK copies.

    ReplyDelete