Thursday, August 3, 2023

Punic Wars Roman Encampment

 


Roman command tent. Don't mess with these guys.


Click on pictures to enlarge

As is my want, I like to set up dioramas and vignettes on my game table for a variety of reasons. One reason is to take figures that I have not seen for awhile and get them out of storage and on to the table top. Another reason is to set out my armies for a project and make an assessment of its progress at this point in time.


John Jenkins Designs 54mm Republican Roman

I have placed my Punic War Carthaginians and Romans on my game table to see how things are looking, project wise, and I set up a camp or town vignette for Team Roman.


Two Republican Roman legions form up on the field of Mars.
Armies In Plastic 54mm Romans.

Giving equal time to Hannibal and his Carthaginians, as one is want to do.

Most of the figures shown in the vignettes are either 54mm or 60mm John Jenkins Designs or King & Country figures plus a few odd figures from hither and yon thrown in for good measure. I like to peruse the internet looking for likely inhabitants of my camp and town vignettes. The first picture below shows a strategy meeting among the Roman high command.


Julius Caesar (I know, he wasn't in the Punic Wars but he looks good in the vignette),
a Senator and a Tribune are checking out a map at the commander's tent.

Roman engineers at work




Scipio Africanus greets some of the townsfolk for an "interview".

The town center next to the Roman encampment



Question time. A Roman tribune interrogates some of the local citizens
to gain information about the Carthaginian army.


Stay tuned for more pictures over the coming days and weeks.

7 comments:

  1. Just wonderful to look at, so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOvely stuff, like the engineers with their groma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It's a new item from John Jenkins Designs.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jim, this is Luke. Republican Rome is also one of my periods outside of the eighteenth century. I just wanted to say that your dioramas are the best! Museum quality. Thanks for posting the photos.

    ReplyDelete