Friday, September 1, 2023

Lee: I Would Play That Jack, Son

 

"I would play that jack, son.


Here is a fun little vignette showing a trio of Confederate soldiers relaxing and playing a card game, Unbeknownst to them, General Robert E. Lee has ridden up behind them and is watching them play cards.

Says Lee to his soldiers, "I would play that Jack, son."

The three card playing Confederate soldiers are from a vignette made by Britains. The two mounted officers are from the Americana plastic toy soldier figure range. I painted one officer as General Lee and the other as a yet to be named senior officer. One of the things that I wanted to do was to find a suitable color for the grey-blue "cadet grey" uniforms worn by some of the generals in Confederate armies. The color is called "Wolf Grey" from a brand called Two Thin Coats. After a lot of searching, I think that I finally found the color that I have been looking for.


General Lee (left) and maybe Pender (right)
Yes I know, Lee is not riding Traveler in this photo




General Lee
Americana figures



Lee inspecting the front lines.

So far, I have not been able to find figures from other plastic toy soldier ranges that I can use to provide some variety for officer figures. Until I do, I will have to resort to head swaps and other conversions.

ccc

6 comments:

  1. Jim, the 10-year old me would have LOVED to play with your growing 54mm ACW collection. Come to think of it, so would the 50+ version!

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. And conversion work makes your collection entirely unique. Really cool so far to see everything take shape.

    -- Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. That BMC figure of Lee is very nice. The horse is also nice and figures sit easily on it. I have mounted whole regiments on those horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the BMC Lee and Grant standing, but haven't found the mounted versions yet.

      Delete
  4. Have you thought of using Imrie/Risley figures for certain commanders?
    They are nice figures and still in production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I saw a Longstreet on eBay the other day and he looked nice.

      Delete