Tuesday, November 8, 2011



Update: November 8, 2011
Katie passed away today around 4pm central standard time. The vet said that her muscle mass had deteriorated severely and that she was dehydrated. Clearly, it was Katie's time. My wife and daughter were there to make their final good byes and our hound was cremated along with her favorite toy.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and kind comments about Katie. It is very much appreciated. Our daughter is having a hard time accepting things, but she seemed to have a better handle on things before she went to bed. We decided that we would hold an Irish Wake for Miss Katie this coming weekend. I also plan to visit the Rainbow Bridge web site that several of you have suggested. This will help too.

I imagine that Katie outlived all of her litter mates, probably because of all the walks that she took. I can picture her brothers and sisters, and her mother, Scout, waiting for Katie and wagging their tails in anticipation of seeing their sister at long last. She is in a better place - of that I am sure.

This weekend, we plan to visit the neighbor's down the street and introduce ourselves to their new Golden Retriever puppy. Seems like a good idea.

Finally, I want to thank Katie for being a terrific good luck charm last night. Without her, the Chicago Bears would not have defeated the Philadelphia Eagles in the football game. :)

11 comments:

  1. Katie looks and sounds like she was a fantastic companion.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll miss Katie too. Give Lelia a hug for me please. I thought of all of you suddenly right around 3:30-4pm today. Sincere condolences to you and Anne as well as Dave.
    Respectfully,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to you and your family on the passing of Katie.

    Best wishes,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lost our dog - 17 years old. Had her from birth till she passed - Little dogs do live longer I guess.

    Mate, heart felt sympathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like she was well loved and will be well missed, what more could a dog ask for. Bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can make a recommendation for you to help with your daughter's grief, this book (written by the icon Mister Rogers) is a classic for the situation:
    http://www.amazon.com/When-Pet-Dies-Fred-Rogers/dp/0698116666/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320895642&sr=8-2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having been there and done that my heart felt condolences. Katie sounds like she was a great dog and that she had a wonderful life.

    Salute
    von Peter himself

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear this. We have a Golden and she is an integral part of our family.

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie looked like a beautiful dog and 15 years is a nice long life for a Golden - and I'm sure she had a very good one with a family that loved her. As hard as it is to loose a companion you've had for years, introducing yourselves to that neighbour's Golden puppy seems like a very good idea - particularly for your daughter.

    My sympathies are with you and your family.

    Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  10. My condolences to you and your family. I had to put my cocker spaniel down last Friday at the age of 14 and a half. His hips gave in and you could no longer walk, was deaf and he was becoming blind. Dam it was one of the hardest things I had to do, but I could not stand to see his suffering.

    ReplyDelete