Saturday, December 23, 2023

Setting up the Christmas Feast Table

The Dining Room table in our house is ready for Christmas dinner.

Our Dining Room table is all set up for ten guests.

Two days ago I was inspired to clear off the dining room table, fit in some spare table leafs, and break out the good china and silverware for our Christmas Day dinner. We have 16 guests and the main table comfortably seats 10 people, although we could probably squeeze in an extra body or two. This means that we will have to use a second table (the Kiddie Table?) to seat the other 6 guests.

The dining room is another one of those rooms that see very little use other than on holidays. I keep telling Herself that this would make a great wargame room, but I get sent to bed without any dinner anytime I bring up the idea. So instead, the table serves as a catchall for the daily clutter of life: coats, laundry waiting to be folded, the mail, the newspaper, and all manner of other stuff. 

I keep telling Herself that my wargame table would look more neat, tidy and in order compared to the use of the room as a dump off point. My argument falls on deaf ears, alas!

Having the dining table already set up lends an air to the feeling of Christmas in our house. We put up and decorated our two Christmas trees the day after Thanksgiving and have been playing Christmas tunes in the background. I don't like Wham! or Maria hCary. I'd rather hear "Good King Wenceslas", "The Holly and the Ivy", "Silent Night", etc. You know, the more traditional music. All I want for Christmas is to not hear Wham or Mariah.


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of my blog readers.

Fritz

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Tony, BTW, I have enjoyed your blog too.

      Delete
  2. Merry Xmas to you and yours Jim. Stille Nacht one of my all time favourite carols and much better than Wham! et al!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and your family Jim.
    Thank you for all your blogging through the year, it is most appreciated and enjoyed.
    I hope this mention of changing the dining room to a wargames table does not result in you spending Christmas in your bedroom 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wellllll, if I were to end up exiled in the bedroom, at least I have lots of Charles Grant and Christopher Duffy books to read.

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Jim always have to acknowledge you do everything with style 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Graham. Here's to your good health in 2024.

      Delete
  5. And a Very Merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas! I do have to admit, though, that Wham! is on my festive play list ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete