Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year's Resolutions

With the dawn of the New Year, it is de rigeur to declare one's resolutions for the coming year, so let me provide a few of my own as pertains to the hobby.

My first resolution is to focus more on the SYW and less on other historical distractions.

Add a second squadron to my Zieten Hussars.

Paint some more Saxon cavalry regiments.

Paint more Hesse Seewald cavalry and start a campaign between HS and evil Saxony.

Get the Minden SYW Russian army into production, both infantry and cavalry, and paint a Russian army.

Read Christopher Duffy's book "Might and Reason" cover to cover for the first time rather than skipping through various chapters. I'll also read Duffy's "Wild Goose and the Eagle ".

Read more historical books in general.

Go to Historicon.

Add pictures of all of the SKUs to the Fife & Drum web site shopping cart.

Play more solo wargames.

Learn German so that I can read my vast collection of history books that are in German.

Enjoy my retirement.

I think that this is a fairly good start on the year. What are some of your resolutions and plans? Please feel free to leave them in the comments section of this post. By the way, this is the one thousandth post in my blog since its inception.

9 comments:

  1. Drink more BEER. 2016 was a bit of a dry year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sounds quite reasonable targets, except learn German, but good luck with it. My progress after two years at night school (one evening a week) became totally corrupted once I started work in the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a tough one. In no particular order: Finish my Anglo-Zulu War collection. Get started on my 100YW collection. Round out my AWI and WW2 armies. PLAY MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read more Duffy, paint more SYW-era figures, and play more games!

    Best Regards for 2017,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year.
    Not entirely sure what mine are yet but it will include Napoleonics & won't include learning German!
    Have fun Sir!
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Admirable New Year's resolutions, Jim. It will be fun to watch the HS project continue to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim,
    You've set a very high bar there for all retired wargamers.Mine has to include finishing the collecting and painting of my SYW Saxon Army, completing my ACW armies and trying not to gain anymore weight, all look very hard to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am already fluent in German so the German language publications are no problem for me...but like Robbie Rodiss has already said I really want to get a SYW Saxon arny done. That would be nice for 2017.

    ReplyDelete