Friday, January 13, 2017

I'm On a Painting Frenzy


Marbach Regt. Firing Line in front and von Donop Marching Regt. in the second row. Fife & Drum Hessians. Click to enlarge the picture.


My painting mojo has returned and I have been on a painting frenzy for the first two weeks of January 2017. I have painted two Hessian regiments using the new Fife & Drum AWI Hessians: von Mirbach (50 figures) using the firing line musketeers and the von Donop (40 figures) regiment using the marching musketeers. You can see my output for Hessians in the picture at the top of the page. I also painted two Russian SYW artillery crew, which are behind the Hessians.

I have also painted some of the Minden SYW civilians, as shown in the pictures below. All of these figures could be used as AWI American Militia, noting that the farm tools would have to be replaced by muskets and rifles. RSM95 has some muskets that would work with the Minden figures. Note to self: ask Richard to make a sprue of muskets and rifles to sell weapons in a new pack.

CIV-001 Agricultural Workers #1


CIV-002 Agricultural Workers #2



CIV-004 Armed Civilians

I had not done any serious painting since about June 2016. No matter how hard I tried, I could not bring myself to pick up a paint brush and sit down at the painting table for an hour or so. Usually painting figures is relaxing and reduces some of the stress in Life, but I think that the old Black Dog was working against me and I couldn't do much of anything for quite awhile.

I think that being retired (since November 1, 2016) has made me a happier and less stressed-out person and this has enabled me to pick up the brushes once again. 

I working on painting samples of all of the Minden and Fife & Drum figures to use on the on-line shopping cart on the Fife & Drum website. The civilians are fun to paint because they are in small groups of 4 or 5 figures and I can paint each figure as an individual with different colored clothing. I didn't add eyes to these samples, so some of them look like zombies when you click and enlarge the pictures. Trust me, they look better first hand.

In parting, some pictures of the Minden Pioneers set. These are very useful figures as the poses can be used for a variety of uses. I often use them as laborers for my artillery crew sets. I have seen other people using them as bakers in a field bakery or as brick masons, etc.

CIV-003 Pioneers (one pose is missing in the picture above, see below for the full set of Pioneers)

CIV-003 Pioneers













bbbb

7 comments:

  1. That is a sizable chunk of figures to march off the painting table in two weeks' time. If I retired, I imagine my schedule less stressful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! That reminds me. I must finalize an order for you now that the holidays have finished.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very impressive painting output. The civilian figures are great and very characterful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite like both the sculpting and the painting of these figures. At arms length the shading on these, inc the eye sockets should look very natural.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent work Jim. I wish my output was to prolific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mojo indeed. That's a HUGE pile of wonderfully painted figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely honesty Jim. More power to your brush!

    All the best

    Steve

    ReplyDelete