Monday, April 4, 2016

Starting With A Clean Slate

The past four weeks have kept me busy getting the Fife & Drum dealer booth stocked and ready for the Seven Years War Association convention this past weekend. I will post a separate convention report later this week.

The basement became a wreck with boxes, bags and figures all over the place, as shown below and When I returned home from the convention, I couldn't stand it any longer so the Great Game Room Clean Up commenced yesterday.


The above picture is the "Before" view of the basement. It is not a pretty sight and I caution you to avert your eyes and not look at too closely.

Here are the "After" pictures, which are much more soothing to the eye:

The black bins hold most of my Finished Goods SYW figure inventory of Fife & Drum figures ( note that I'm transitioning away from the Minden name). I claimed a storage shelf unit from our general household goods storage area and placed it in the room, to the right of the door in the picture above. This allows me to get most of my buildings and terrain into one area.


Above is the central game table, 15 ft by 6ft, with parallel side table that are 2.5ft wide. On the back wall, you can see all of my storage shelves, which span the entire length of the wall. I keep terrain pieces and my Minden - Fife & Drum- SYW and AWI painted armies.


Above is a view of the entire room, noticeably cleaner, tidier and better organized than in the first picture.

I now have a clean game table, an empty canvas if you will, that is ready for a new game setup. So that leads to the question, "which battle should I do next?" Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed in the comment section below.

Fritz

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Just Wow! Lucky man...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Cowpens? You could do it on a very reduced scale and it could use a wide variety of figures. Tarleton and Morgan and a cast of hundreds...what could be better?
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea as (1) I've never played Cowpens before, and (2) it would compel me to finally completed my British Legion cavalry.

      Delete
  3. Guilford Courthouse, but in a European SYW setting with larger armies.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I already did that a few years ago in Battlegames: Action at Liebenau.

      Delete
  4. You are a very very lucky man, having all that room to yourself!!! I'm very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rooms this size in the basement or cellar are common to houses in the U.S.

      Delete
  5. Good googly moogly that space is massive.

    Could I suggest something Colonial or Peninsular?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes what Conrad said.
    ***
    A great satisfaction to be cleaned up and organized again I'm sure!
    ***
    BTW Everyone, Jim set up fantastic looking games with a lot of players at the annual SYW Assn. Weekend a few days ago.
    Cheers,
    Bill P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about something with a bridge, Jim? Perhaps something from the French Revolution transposed to an earlier setting like the Bridge at Arcola. Alternatively the action of the 95th at the Bridge over the Coa transferred to America with American riflemen.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, with the celebration of Patriot's Day this month, why not do a linked series of short engagements from Lexington to Concord to Boston.
    You could show the skirmishes at Lexington Green and Concord Bridge; then selected encounters as the British "retreat" to Boston. You could show various groups of Minute Men arriving to fight after marching in from their surrounding towns. And, it has a bridge !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great clean-up Jim and I hope the convention was a huge success. Your reporting on AMG was first class and greatly appreciated. What I think you shoud do after working so hard both at the SYW show and in the basement is get in your car, head to Keith Leidys and play a massive Sudan Game whilst being waited on hand and foot! Then come back and fight Molwitz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea Carlo! I haven't played a Sudan game at Leidy's in several years. I did Mollwitz in January-February 2015, so Chotusitz would be the logical candidate for the next SYW/WAS battle.

      Delete
  10. The next battle was set up on the table last night: the Battle of Kuhstall, a small action with 5 or 6 units per side. Pictures to follow later in the week.

    ReplyDelete