Sunday, May 19, 2019

Dismounted Prussian Hussars




Over the weekend I painted the two sets of Minden dismounted Prussian hussars so that I can put pictures of the sets in the Fife and Drum Miniatures web store. The figures are all sculpted by Richard Ansell in 1/56 scale (approximately 30mm tall).

The two sets are MP-018 (wearing busbies) and MP-019 (wearing mirlitons). Each set includes four "action figures", one horseholder and one standing horse with hussar horse furniture.


MP-018 Dismounted Prussian Hussars in busby hats.
Painted as HR2 von Zieten Hussars.


MP-019 Dismounted Prussian Hussars in mirliton hats.
Painted as HR5 von Reusch hussars.

These were really fun figures to paint and I am eager to paint more of each style so that I can have a 12-figure group of figures for skirmish style games. I use formed cavalry squadrons of 12-figures, so I will have the same number of dismounted hussars for each hussar squadron.

A close up view of the MP-018 set of hussars in busbies.

Sometime in the near future I would like to add two more poses to each set: standing firing and kneeling firing. I am also considering adding hussars wearing their pelisses as they would have done in battle, rather than the flashy "wearing it on the shoulder" that was more likely used on the parade ground.

Next in the painting queue are the Prussian jΓ€ger. I am considering building up some small skirmish parties of Prussian hussars and jagers to fight the Croats in a smaller game. I'm noodling another idea to work in a "horror" scenario with the skirmish figures. More on this in the future.

11 comments:

  1. Very neat and clean brushwork, Jim! I especially like your work on horse and tack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tip on painting the van dyking on the shabraque: paintbthe little triangles a solid color in the edging color, in this case white. Then go back and paint a little dot or wedge in the red color. This way you don't have to do the intricate task of paintingbthe white edges freehand.

      Delete
    2. Great tip! One I will use next time.

      Delete
  2. Not often seen, dismounted figures! Very useful for skirmishing I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Bob and Doug MacKenzie used to intone on SCTV's The Great White North many years ago, "Beauty, eh?" Lovely painting and impressive output.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coo lu cookoo coo loo coo coo...πŸ₯“πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

      Delete
  4. Stunning looking figures Jim. Really beautiful and an incredibly good paint jobs as well. Dare I say...Huzzar!

    ReplyDelete