Saturday, July 2, 2016

Making Acacia Trees for the Sudan




Sudan landscape north of Khartoum showing typical Acacia trees and some camels.

My home made Acacia trees with some John Jenkins Designs Beja riflemen in 54mm.

A little trip to Michael's Stores for craft materials always generates ideas for making terrain pieces. I wanted to dress up the game table for the 54mm toy soldier game that we are playing on July 23rd and after seeing the first picture above and the last picture at the end, I knew that I had to make some Acacia trees to dot the desert terrain.


I used plastic flowers from Michaels Stores to make the trees, clipping them off of the stem and then hot gluing them onto a round basswood disk, spray painted with a brown undercoat and then speckled and dipped in grit.

Another view, note the use of real rocks in the background.

Here is a close up of the real thing. I think that I did a good job of capturing the look of the Acacia tree. These were used to make the defensive zaribas by the British when they made camp.





tt

13 comments:

  1. Yes, agreed Jim. I think they look spot-on.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. I wonder if they would work at smaller scales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they would work with both 54mm and 28mm as you can see in the last picture the real think can be as tall as a man so 28mm should work

      Delete
  3. I think you did a good job too! Terrific looking trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Already a real treat for the eyes.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work there ! look the part , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking very good Jim and incredibly effective. Think I may need to take a similar route with some trees for my own collection. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great - nice method

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, they look pretty realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, they look pretty realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really neat trees - well done

    ReplyDelete