IR12 Re-enactors (not painted by Der Alte Fritz)
As of last evening I had completed and based 58 of the 60 figures that comprise my IR25 Kalckstein battalion (using the Elite Miniatures SYW Prussians in march attack pose). In all of my haste, I had forgotten to assemble and prime the standard bearers. These latter were primed last night and I will finish them off this evening. As always, I will use the GMB Designs flags for the unit to finish it off. So it looks like I have reached my goal of painting 60 figures in 6 days. I'm estimating that the entire project will have taken me 20 hours to complete. This breaks down to approximately 20 minutes per figure, from start to finish, rather than the projected 60 minutes per figure. I will try to post some pictures of Kalckstein on friday.
Tonight, I will be busy terraining the bases of two new Austrian units. One is a battalion of Warrior Miniatures British that were painted as Austrians. The figures were purchased in the flea market at Historicon, circa 1992 and someone else did the initial painting of the figures as Austrians. I did a "repaint" of two smaller battalions and converted them into one larger 60 figure battalion to use in our BAR games. I left the faces and cross belts "as is" but repainted the coats, muskets, tricornes and gaitors.
The second Austrian unit is a 60 figure battalion of Crusader Miniatures Austrian grenadiers. I received these in the mail on Tuesday from Dennis Smail, who painted them for me. I will post a picture of the grenadiers tomorrow, and I think that you will like them as much as I do. Dennis painted the grenadiers in groups of 12 figures. Thus, each stand of 12 grenadiers represents a different regiment. This results in a rather colorful looking battalion. Gosh, I almost wish that I could play the Austrians in our Big Game this weekend just so that I could command these fellows on the table top.