Thursday, September 17, 2026

The First New Hampshire Regiment

 



Here is a picture of the 1st New Hampshire regiment of 1777 as it might have appeared during the Saratoga campaign in 1777. The commander of the regiment was Colonel Joseph Cilley. The uniform descriptions were provided by Charles Lefferts in his book, Uniforms of the 1775-1783 American, British, French and German Armies of the American Revolution.

When I paint an American unit of AWI soldiers I like to mix up the poses with a wide assortment of figures from both the Fife and Drum and the Minden Miniatures figure ranges. I don't want the regiment to have every figure in lock step with each other.

In the picture above looking at the stand on the far right we have the following figures:

Front Rank (right to left): Militia firing musket, Continental firing musket, Militia officer with a head conversion swap into a round hat, Militia firing musket, an I can't make out the last pose on the left.

Secon Rank (right to left): Militia at the ready, Militia advancing, Continental cocking his musket, Continental firing musket, and Militia loading his musket.

You can see that I mix in American Militia figures with my Continental regulars and simply paint them in the same uniform. I was doing head swaps from tricorn hat to round hat, but I have since added the round hat poses to the Fife and Drum figure range which renders the head swaps moot.


Here is another regiment of Continentals (the Delaware and Maryland brigade at Guilford Courthouse. These are mostly Fife and Drum Continentals with a kneeling firing MIlitia man and several other Militia figures sprinkled throughout.





WORK IN PROGRESS

I'm working on several command stands for my British forces, realizing that I had not used either of the personality figures of Howe and Cornwallis. Here is general Howe with his paramour.

General Howe and Mrs. Loring



bbb

No comments:

Post a Comment