| The newly redecorated War Game Room |
The midwest US has been battered by a steady stream of rainstorms and fortunately I live in an area that has been relatively untouched by flooding and power outages. About five years ago I invested in a whole house generator that is powered by the natural gas line that runs into the house. When the power goes out, the generator kicks in and all of the lights go back on.
However, there was one little glitch in that I don't have plastic window well covers over the basement windows. It hasn't been a problem until about a week ago when rainwater filled up the window well with water and then the water decided to enter my basement and deposit a one-inch deep layer of water that covered about half of my game room.
The window well was in one of the extra storage rooms that we have in the basement and pretty much everything in that room was wet and waterlogged. The stench from the wet cardboard was powerful and so I had to remove everything from the storage closet and haul it out to the street curb so that the city garbage truck could haul it away. I lost some war game books that I hadn't looked at in years so I really didn't consider it much of a loss. If you haven't used in the item in more than a year you should probably toss it out anyway.
| A pile of wet stuff (carpet, lots of cardboard boxes, spare ceiling tiles and other stuff) that I pulled from the basement and hauled to the curb for the garbage man to remove. |
I had to remove about half of the carpet from the floor and throw it away. I considered replacing it with laminate flooring, but the estimates that I got from Lowe's and Home Depot were too expensive and so I decided that I could live with some bare cement floor for another year.
Having thrown a few things out, I explored the area beneath my game table and found a lot of boxes full of various types of war game junk. They were goners. If I don't need it or haven't used it in over a year then I am not keeping it around anymore.
Long story short: I cleaned out a lot of clutter from the war game room and felt pretty good about it.
I purchased a couple of area rugs on the cheap from Target and Wayfair stores and spread them out over what I now call "The Sitting Area". A nice leather club chair had been on order about a month ago and it arrived two days ago. Now I have a pair of club chairs that I can place on either side of a faux fireplace mantel and I have to say that the scene evokes a private gentlemen's club in some toney part of London {in my imagination at least}.
| The leather club chair on the right is my latest acquisition for the War Game Room |
| Another view of the seating area in the room. |
| The drafting table was found at Target Stores. It is a good place to display various maps that I have. |
I decided to to take down the second war game table in the room and play on one 6ft by 12ft table that I can expand to 15ft in length if needed. I can always set up the second table of 5ft by 12ft , but I like the openness of the room that is created by having only the one table set up all of the time.
| I have set up an AWI game on the 6ft by 12ft table. |
The inaugural war game in the new room will be an AWI battle taking place in the 1777 Philadelphia Campaign. The scenario involves Maxwell's Light Brigade in the American army conducting a rear guard action to delay the march and advance of General Howe's entire British and Hessian army. The American riflemen stand no chance of stopping the British, but their victory condition is to delay the British army for a to-be-determined number of game turns
| The British Light Brigade forms the advance guard of the army and they quickly draw fire from American skirmishers in the grove of trees on the right. |
| Brandywine Creek with the town of Kennet Square in the distance. |
| A colonial farmhouse |
| The town of Kennet Square. This is the objective of the British army. |
| American skirmishers in the grove attempt to spring an ambush on the British light troops. but they are having none of that. |
| The bucolic stone bridge over Chadd's Ford at Brandywine Creek. N.C Wyeth can be seen crossing the bridge. |
ccc
Splendid , all splendid.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland