Wednesday, October 18, 2023

ACW Picture of the Day - McPherson's Ridge

 


In June 2021, my daughter and I went on a tour of Civil War battlefields in the Eastern Theater of the war (Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania ). Our first tour stop was at Gettysburg and we arrived at the city from the western approach via the Chambersburg Pike. It was around 5PM in the evening when we reached the battlefield and I took this picture on McPherson's Ridge, looking east towards the town of Gettysburg.

You can see the iconic McPherson's Barn and some of the church spires of Gettysburg in the background. I was taken by the dramatic and foreboding black clouds in the sky and the contrast with the sunlight shining on McPherson's Barn. This is probably one of the best battlefield pictures that I have ever taken. As such, it deserves to be posted on this blog as one of my Pictures of the Day.

1/32 scale model of a Pennsylvania barn the could be McPherson's Barn.


3 comments:

  1. That is a nice, atmospheric photo
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning photograph that brings home the lack of cover Buford's men had to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot - I think I stood on the same spot this August too !

    ReplyDelete