Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Return of Battlegames Perhaps?



I would like to draw your attention to a new project that Henry Hyde is initiating on Patreon that will create a sort of on-line wargaming content somewhat similar to his old Battlegames magazine. Individuals are invited to become "patrons of the arts" and support Henry's efforts with a payment of a monthly subscription that can be as low as $1.00 or as high as you want to go. 

Patreon is a form of on-line crowd funding, but rather than investing in a tangible product such as a boardgame or a new range of wargame miniatures, you are underwriting the artist's creation of content on a monthly basis. To be clear, this is not a financial investment where you will expect some sort of financial return on investment. You are providing funds, on a monthly basis at an amount of your choosing, to provide the artist with a monthly income of sorts so that he can spend part of his time doing his regular free-lance graphic design work and part of his time creating content for his patrons.

In return, patrons will have access to newly created content on blogs, 30 to 60 minute podcasts, videos in addition to other written articles and graphics pertaining to gaming or military history.

I know that I am doing a poor job of trying to explain the venture, so I invite you to click on the link below and read about it in Henry's own words.



But the most important thing about Patreon as a model is that, rather like the patrons of the arts of previous centuries, it creates a direct link between you, the consumer, and me, the creator. More than just a financial transaction, it creates a bond, a deeper level of interaction than is possible if you were just buying a magazine off a shelf or a picture off a wall. Your input, suggestions, feedback and requests will be crucial in creating my output, to build a body of work that is satisfying to both of us. Already, in the comments below the blog post where I floated the idea, potential patrons are helping to shape my ideas about what to create, how often and even at what size, such as the length of podcasts and so on. If you have a great idea, let me know and I'll do my best to make it so!

I have read Henry's prospectus on the campaign and am sufficiently interested and intrigued by the concept to "invest" a certain amount of money in Henry on a monthly basis. I won't say what level of funding I'm participating at, but I feel that I should put my money where my mouth is by signing on as a patron to this venture.

If you enjoyed the old Battlegames magazine and Miniature Wargames during Henry's tenure as editor of both publications, then I think that you will be interested in this venture. So click on the links above and take a look to see for yourself and then make your own decision on whether or not to become a patron.

4 comments:

  1. Jim,
    I saw this campaign and initially I was interested as funnily enough I am re reading my collection of Battlegames magazines. And that is the rub for me, I have a tangible magazine that I can re read at my leisure whereas, well the offer is for a digital read. I recognise I am out of kilter with the 21st century and wish Henry well although I must admit under Henry's tenure I thought the Miniature Wargames became a poor magazine. No doubt I will be proved wrong and Battlegames will rise again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robbie: I think that some of the content will be available as downloadable PDF documents. I like to hold paper in my hands too and I think that Henry has some ideas for this too, but not in a printed magazine format which is probably not economical in the Internet Age.

      Who knows where this is headed, but it should be interesting to watch it all unfold.

      Delete
  2. It's an interesting development in the self publishing format but I can see the merit. I'll give it a shot - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose I am another curmudgeon, because I also want a physical magazine to hold. Henry's work is well worth supporting.

    ReplyDelete