Sunday, June 27, 2010

Croat Terror Has Begun




I completed my first unit of Minden Austrians for the SYW Project -- a battalion of 30 Croats painted as the Carlstadter Liccaner regiment. I based the figures this evening and will let the spackle compound dry over night before applying the brown ink, dry brushing and the static grass that I use to complete the terraining of the bases. I will post a picture of the full regiment, bases completed, on Monday night.

Since the Croats are light infantry, I have based them three figures per stand, instead of the six figures used in a line battalion of figures. The bases measure 30mm deep by 60mm wide. The lesser number of figures per stand allows me room for creating mini-dioramas with the Croats hiding behind rock walls, trees, boulders and tall grass. You can really let your imagination go wild with these figures.

This evening, I also glued 30 Austrian musketeers to cardboard bases in preparation to prime the figures tomorrow night. Thus, July 2010 will be Austrian Painting Month in Hesse Seewald. I have enough Prussians to fill my 12 foot long wargame table, so common sense decrees that it is time for me to switch over to the painting of Austrians. The Croats were the first step.

More tomorrow - it's off to bed for me now.

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the Croats. It reminds me of the Miqueletes of home :)
    Duke of Baylen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very good in this hobby, inspiration for some of us. Im a portuguese painting of soldieres on scales 1/72 and 54mm. i start recently a new bloog about napoleonic soldieres, i leave the link for you look if you can. But im just started.

    http://soldadosnapoleonicos.blogspot.com/


    Cluny.

    ReplyDelete