Saturday, December 22, 2007

Project Updates

I am on the home stretch on the Teddy Bears Christmas Project and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (there's two cliches in one sentance). I just completed the 24 - Bear Blue Team and the 24-Bear Pink Team just needs a little bit of details to complete them. I'm going out to a Christmas party tonight with Mrs Fritz and plan to finish the Pink Team later this evening. There will be two teams of 24 Bear musketeers. The Bear grenadiers and the standard bearers will have to wait until after Christmas.

I black primed a dozen more 1806 French line center company figures the other night, and I have to say that I've been eyeing them all afternoon today as I was finishing the Blue Bears. With a full week of vacation time coming up, I could really go to town on a Napoleonic painting jag during this time. I feel like I owe myself a break from painting anymore SYW figures, or Bears, for awhile.

The French legere battalion has been glued to its bases. I am using 3/4-inch metal bases for the Napoleonic project, rather than the 1-inch bases that I have been using for the SYW period. Since the Elite Miniatures take up less space on the base, I can get away with using the smaller size of bases. I think that the smaller bases look better because they really pack the figures in closer together.

I will attempt to take some photographs of the Bears tomorrow and hopefully post them on this site on Sunday. I would also like to paint a couple of Potsdam Riesengarde figures and photograph them as well. So have patience, the pictures will be forthcoming soon.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the bear facts regarding your recent painting efforts. I am sure they will look super once they are teddy!
    Were the "dressings" between Napleonic infantry tighter than syw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing the teddy bears . . . but the Napoleonic period has never interested me (and, yes, I know that there is a great deal to recommend it . . . it just doesn't excite me).

    Anyway, have a most wonderful Christmastime.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubt that the dressings were much different from the SYW to the Napoleonic era, but we used 1" bases for SYW since some of the 30mm figures had larger bases. Since I'm going only with 28mm Elite Miniatures on this project, I can use the smaller base. I would have used 3/4" on the SYW, but for the base size on some of the figures.

    The reason that I like 1806 is that the Prussian army still looks like the SYW army: same regimental flags and organization, similar looking uniforms, albeit with trousers instead of knee breeches and gaitors and the bicorn instead of the tricorn. It is a nice transition to Napoleonics. I think that everyone will like the look of the 1806 Prussians when they are based up and ready to go. I also like the French in bicorns more than the French in shakoes. The glory days of France occurred during the wearing of the shakos.

    More later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you thought of doing some 1806 Saxons? Mr Knotel makes them look jolly smart.

    Greg Horne

    ReplyDelete